- Five shot sequence: Tutorial and example
- How to embed a "live" web page in WordPress blog posts
- A color palette optimized for data visualization
- Why data visualization matters?
- Assignment ideas for social media courses
- SEO tutorial: Keyword research and placement
- Google maps tutorial (part 5/5): How to create a free heat map with Google Fusion Tables
- How to embed video and photo in a Google interactive map
- How to best use Forum in Moodle courses: Ideas and tips by professionals
- Who has the best geocoding tool for heat map - Tableau, Mapbox or Google Fusion Tables?
Category of blog posts
Category Archives: Digital tools and tips
For video storytelling, you take shots and put them together in sequences. A video sequence is a series of shots on the same subject that are edited together to tell a story. A well-edited video sequence adds visual variety to video storytelling. Continue reading
Journalists and digital storytellers can take advantage of the video tour feature of Google Earth Pro, which used to cost $399 a year but is now available for free, for an immersive audience experience with locations and places.
A Google map with embedded photos and videos becomes a “multimedia map” that provides for an interactive presentation tool for use in tourism, event planning, news reporting and other location-based presentations.
By cropping a photo to its most salient part, we can use Google’s “search by image” feature to identify object in a photo that does not have accompanying texts, caption or metadata.
Google Maps and Street View provide easy ways to illustrate “where it is” and “what it looks like” – two questions a reader may raise but are usually left unanswered.
A participant in my online course Google Mapping for Communicators created a virtual tour using Google Earth, and it provides for a good example of how Google Earth can be used as a storytelling tool.
Google recently released a camera app, Google Camera, to mobile devices running Android 4.4 KitKat. Photo Sphere, one unique feature of Google Camera, makes it easy to create a custom Street View of a news scene and embed it in … Continue reading
Tutorial goals: understand the ideas behind Google Fusion Tables heat maps; create an interactive map showing state-by-state U.S. population, as shown in the sample below. (This post is part five of a 5-part tutorial on creating Fusion Tables intensity map; … Continue reading
The world’s largest photo service, Getty Images, just made many of its stock photos free to use. Here’s a guide on how to find images and embed them in a blog post or web page.
I tested three free map tools to create custom maps that show multiple dimensions of a story: where (location), when (time), what (photos, videos, articles). The three tools are Meograph, StoryMap JS and Google Maps Engine Lite; the test and … Continue reading