- Five shot sequence: Tutorial and example
- How to embed a "live" web page in WordPress blog posts
- A color palette optimized for data visualization
- SEO tutorial: Keyword research and placement
- A Twitter writing guide for journalists: Adapting conventional news writing for the digital age
- How to embed video and photo in a Google interactive map
- Why data visualization matters?
- Content ideas for social media marketing: How to pinpoint specific topics using Google autocomplete and Keyword Planner
- Writing for the web: Sample work in my open online writing course
- Google maps tutorial (part 5/5): How to create a free heat map with Google Fusion Tables
Category of blog posts
Category Archives: Industry observation
Audience engagement editor is a new position being created amid Gannett’s nationwide newsroom restructuring. I talked to audience engagement editors at two Gannett newspapers to find out what engagement editors do, and what skills are needed to land this job … Continue reading
If Gannett’s radical newsroom restructuring becomes industry norms, journalism schools need to do two things to better prepare graduates for the job market: (a) offer innovative digital training and (b) prepare students for jobs other than newsroom staff.
The world’s largest photo service, Getty Images, just made many of its stock photos free to use. Here’s a guide on how to find images and embed them in a blog post or web page.
After student journalists have been scared straight by their professors about the harsh realities of landing a job in media, obtaining an internship is the top priority. The majority of students focus on interning at a TV station or newspaper, … Continue reading
The explosive growth of digital technologies brings with it an ever-growing demand for contents, and content production is at the core of journalism training. At a time when everyone can reach out to a mass audience, people need journalistic skills … Continue reading
Based on what employers and recent graduates are telling him, a journalism professor compiles a list of skills demanded by the current job market. I find this list informational and am sharing it with my readers:
To be hired as a video producer at New York Times, one needs to “have a little more of a specialized perspective of the content and make it excellent,” and that content is not just news section subjects such as … Continue reading
For people seeking web-based training in digital storytelling skills, they will find that online journalism courses offered by colleges are long and may have “unwanted stuffs,” and online training offered by for-profit training organizations are short, focused and more up-to-date. … Continue reading
Let’s hear from people on the ground about skills and education needed for a journalism job today – Andrea Gillhoolley, a 2005 Penn State University graduate majoring in journalism, now a reporter for Lebanon Daily News in Lebanon, Pa., shares … Continue reading
In a Twitter conversation with me (@mututemple), Chicago Sun-Times managing editor Craig Newman (@craignewman) shared his expectations of the multitude of digital expertise for a new hire.