An increasing number of U.S. journalism schools and programs are revamping their curriculum in reaction to changes in the industry. I see this trend while compiling the list of multimedia journalism degree programs in U.S. and Canada.
Here’s a list of some new or revamped journalism programs to be launched in fall 2012:
- University of Kansas journalism school is implementing a new curriculum; among other changes, “Visual Storytelling” is now a required course – it has been an elective in the past.
- Washing State University will converge the former Broadcasting, Broadcasting Production and Journalism sequences into a new, unified Journalism & Media Production sequence.
- University of Texas at Austin School of Journalism will launch a new curriculum; they are “eliminating the old walls between print, magazine, photojournalism, multimedia and broadcast.”
- University of South Florida will offer a master’s program in Digital Journalism & Design.
- University of Florida College of Journalism will offer a Professional Master of Arts in Mass Communication – Multimedia Journalism program.
- University of Oregon will offer a master’s program in Multimedia Journalism.
In fall 2011, the Emerson College journalism department merged the previous print journalism and broadcast journalism to form a new journalism major, with a new curriculum. Also in fall 2011, the journalism program at University of Florida revamped its curriculum to better incorporate courses in new media.
I will continue to write a series of posts analyzing the curriculum of the journalism programs on the list – how they revamp the curriculum, what they offer, how they teach it, the emerging pattern in the “new” journalism curriculum, as well as the master’s programs.
- List of 108 digital/multimedia journalism programs in U.S.
- What is a digital/multimedia journalism course?
- How to teach digital/multimedia journalism? An analysis of 30 syllabi
- Gap between journalism education and the (changing) journalism profession
- What is a digital/multimedia journalism program curriculum?
- Photography should be a core course for digital journalism education
- How to develop a forward-looking digital journalism program? (must read!)
- Digital training is lacking for journalism students
- A survey of master’s programs in digital journalism in U.S.
- What to teach in an intro digital journalism class: web writing, mobile, data and social media